nathan, letters, and 4 weeks...

I have had a lot of individuals recently find my site by searching for my friend Jessie Vredevelt.

Her younger brother, Nathan, was hit by some vehicles last week on an interstate in Portland. A story can be found here.
The website that Jessie set up is set up here.

May Nathan rest in peace, and may light perpetual shine upon him. Amen.
----------------------------------
So, this post is going to be a compilation of a few things. I still gotta keep it brief, because, apparently, the work isn't done yet. I have a paper outline for my medical anthropology course dues on friday, and I have to start preparing my powerpoint for my defense (2 weeks away! eep!!!)


first, here is my first letter regarding my trip to haiti this summer... (i will put up some templates that can be zoomed in on, soon... so you can read them!)




------------
Lastly, I want to comment on triathlon stuff. I have a mere 4 weeks until I am down in New Orleans, racing my first 70.3 distance triathlon. I have no idea how it is going to do. All I know is that I am extremely excited. I am racing along side two amazing women (Kirsten and Donna), who inspire me. And, although I have never met one officially, I am very ready to have her as a new friend.


I recently was reading an old (sept 07) "Road Bike action magazine" and, in the letter from the editor, there were a great few paragraphs that pretty much summed up my thoughts these days, it is long, but worth reading:

"why is it that we cyclist show up, sign up, train for and obsesively think about these events?... FOr me, I sign up and show up and train because wehn work or life gets a bit crazy, I remember what it feels like after the event, I remember the highs of training and the singular, almost quietness of getting on my bike and putting everything else to the side for a short time. I remember how well I sleep after a 3 hour ride.

Right now, I am training for my first 1/2 ironman... It is way too far, I'm not ready, and I can't run to save my life, but there is something about a 58-mile time trial and then a 13 mile run that has piqued my interest, not to mention the long swim in a cold lake. I wonder what I'll be thinking about 5 hours into the even and wonder if I have the strength to pull it off... There is something about trying something new, pushing yourself, that seems to live in the mind of most cyclists. It keeps us awake late on Friday night getting ready for a long training ride on saturday. Gets us over a long climb. Wakes us up in july to watch the tour at 5:30 in the morning, before the kids wake up and and the reality of life sneaks in.

We strive to go farther, faster, past our last week's goals and look towards the future...."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syracuse 70.3 race report

La Printaniere Race Report!

Board Member recuitment