First race of 2015!

Wow.  Can you believe that March is right there?  It is so close that we can touch it!  And, here in Vancouver, it feels like it.  Bright, sunny skies. Flowers blooming (?!?!) No snow on the mountains.  Outside riding already!  Hooray!

This winter has been quick, spring is right around the corner, and the summer… well, let’s pretend it is still far away. I will be returning to my job at Primary Outreach Services, in the DTES, on Monday.  I have been away for about 8 months, and there are many things I am looking forward to in returning.  This time in public health has really served to teach me many things, and has really served to show me what components of public health nursing that I love, and which I don’t.  However, that is a whole other post, for a whole other day.  Maybe next week, once I am back.

This past Sunday, I ran my first race of 2015 at the Fort Langley Historic Half.  Unfortunately, it was after having a month of BLEH in terms of training.  First, there was that flu. Then, there was that knee injury.  Then, there was being in Prince George.  If felt like my fitness was going out the window, even though I know it doesn't quite work like that. What I certainly knew, was that I was not going to be breaking any half marathon personal bests.  It would be great if I could just run the whole thing.  The week of training was challenging, hard, and heavy.  I think going into the race, I had about 17 hours of training in the days before: including my first long ride on my cervelo & a brick workout. The first 14 km went fine.  It was steady, I was motivated, all was a-ok.  Then, my legs said “no more!”   It was a jog-walk-jog all the way back in. 

I’m ok with that. Sure, it would have been nice to be in the 1:40's, but it was not my day. It's about trusting in the process, much of the time.  Not wishing for bigger, better, faster, than what you are ready to achieve at that direct point.  Sometimes you will be, other times you will not be. The process is hard... its not meant to be easy. Today is 5 months out from Ironman Canada/Whistler!  The journey continues to get more exciting, and I will only get stronger, fitter, faster from here. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syracuse 70.3 race report

La Printaniere Race Report!

Board Member recuitment