Inspiring young minds...supposedly!

Sean and I are currently on the ferry, making our way back home after a weekend on Vancouver island. Nice to get away from the regular bump and grind, and good to get a quick visit with the Birch side of the family.  We were taking the little trip to hopefully inspire young minds. That's the hope, anyway.

A lesser known fact about my young life is that I am a private school graduate;  not only a private school, but a boarding school. My parents sacrificed a lot to send me away to a place that I would wake up to the ocean air every day, wear knee high socks and a tartan skirt, and be reprimanded for sneaking a pet hedgehog into my room to live in the closet. I'm not going to lie... I honestly think that if I did not go to Brentwood, I would not be the person I am today.  I would not have gone to WVU, because I would not have rowed. I may not have seen the world, because I would have stayed living in Edmonton. I also would not have had the house parent, coaches, friends, and teachers who influenced and encouraged me only in the way that one can do when you not only work with, but live with them, can.

I know that one thing that I realised while I was at Brentwood, is that to people who much is given, much is expected. I am privileged to be a Brentwood grad, and thus, I want to give back to those who do not have opportunities such as that.

On Saturday, Sean and I got to give back to that community, in the form of "Careers Day."  Boy, the school has changed. It seems to me that I went to the "budget Brentwood." The campus is so beautiful! But, the feeling is the same. Staff who passionately care for students, students who would rather be doing something else on Saturday than going to school.

I, obviously, spoke about my work as an outreach nurse in Vancouver's inner city. I felt like my presentations went well, but it was a tough crowd! I certainly feel that my career is intruiging, compelling, and conversation invoking.  However, perhaps that is not true. The number of blank stares was a bit disappointing.  I know that I gave people something to think about, and I know that a number of kids said that they had no idea that my type of nursing work exists.

To me, nursing is one of the ultimate ways of giving back. I admit, that not every nurse should do what I do;  it just doesn't fit everyone. But I do sincerely hope that the message of the diversity of available careers in nursing was portrayed, as was the message that nursing is an amazing professional career choice.

Nursing is great.  Having the chance to "give back" at careers day was great.  I just hope that at least one student thought that what I was saying is great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syracuse 70.3 race report

La Printaniere Race Report!

Board Member recuitment