FInally arrived!

Hello friends and Sponsors!

Yesterday afternoon, I finished off the successful first year as a nursing student, and got excited about my upcoming summer break, which will be such a welcome time! This afternoon, my plane from Minneapolis touched down in the beautiful state of AK, with the other members of the Leukemia and Lymphoma's Team in Training. the time has come, and the money has been counted, and we are all here, ready to race: ready to remember all the people that we are running for.

Today, during dinner with friends, I was able to really reflect upon the time I have had leading up to this race. I am so excited for it, for a number of different reasons.

First off, with your help, I have been able to raise 5800$ A-fricken-Mazing. I just heard the other day that the 3 2009-2010 Montreal teams (Summer, Winter, and Spring) has (for the first time) raised more than 1 million dollars. Thank you for your support, encouragement, and donations. Without you, this journey is impossible.

Secondly, at the end of May, when I was able to watch my fellow nursing students complete their TNT race in Ottawa, I was so inspired by their efforts, and their success in the run. And, to hear about when Beth and Her dad ran hand in hand for 100 m was one of the best moments to think about during the day. Your friends, and your family members, who have been diagnosed with blood cancers (or, any other cancer, for that matter!), whether they have beaten it nor not, get up each morning and fight a battle. It is far harder to walk that battle, than for me to race a 1/2 marathon. As I have been raising this money, and training for this race, I have heard and met so many of you have been affected by this, as well as names of your loved ones. Please send me those names again, so that, on Saturday, I can put them on the wings that I am racing with. I want to honour their (and your!) journey! This whole process has really just opened up my eyes and knowledge about blood cancers.

Third, I have returned to the place, which 4 years ago, was the first time that I ever thought "wow. If those people could run a 1/2 marathon, I would be able to run a 1/2 marathon..." It was the first time that endurance racing entered into my head. This will be my 5th standalone 1/2 marathon, and my 7th all together. I am exceptionally excited to go for the fastest time I have ever run. Last weekend, I was down racing my first 1/2 Ironman of the year, where I ran a personal best off an exceptionally challenging bike. With the strong run from that recent race, I am feeling that my legs will be able to carry me quickly through the rolling hill course. I have been challenged to take about 5 minutes off my personal best for this run. So, now that I have been able to reach the fundraising, challenge, I am ready for the running challenge!!!

I will let you know how it goes!

If you know anyone who would like to receive this update, please forward it to them (i.e. if you have friends who have donated, and I do not have their email...)

Cheers,
Amelia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syracuse 70.3 race report

La Printaniere Race Report!

Board Member recuitment